Posted on December 16 2019
The most popular question I get on a regular basis is “is there any shortcut to lose weight fast?” Everyone wants to get there fast without having to put work in. But the truth is, there really is no substitute for hard work. Granted taken the right steps will help you get there a little easier, that’s why we hire nutritionist’s, fitness experts etc to show us the right direction. But you still have to put in the work! You still have to eat healthy most of the time and exercise on most days. A fitness expert can only write the routine for you, but you still have to work.
Methi water is one of such “shortcuts” I have come across people asking me about. While this by itself will not help you lose weight, but when combined with right nutrition and workout regimen, you will definitely see a marginal benefit in your progress. Though no clear studies have linked fenugreek seeds to 'fat loss', there have been studies like this one linked relating it with increased strength in athletes. Methi can help combat bloating and has some other unique properties.
Lets talk how,
- A tablespoon of methi has about 6.4 grams of carbs and about 4-5 grams of fibre (daily intake for fibre should be 25-35 grams). Since modern day processed food diet lacks fibre, this is a fantastic way to get it in. The fibre in methi aids in digestion and helps relive constipation. We all know that a healthy body starts with a healthy gut and methi seeds help fix issues like IBS, indigestion etc.
- While on a fat loss program, the body is constantly under a caloric deficit and inflamed due to moderate to intense fitness routine. Fenugreek seeds have been known to reduce inflammation in the body. Chronic inflammation has been linked with reduces insulin uptake, bad bone health and even heart diseases. The increase in insulin resistance is what is particularly important when it comes to fat- loss. Once we eat any food, it is converted to sugar in the body and either used up as energy or broken down by the hormone insulin to be stored in the liver or muscles as a source of future energy. However, inflammation interferes with the hormonal balance and increases the body’s resistance to the hormone insulin.
- Fenugreek seeds also are loaded with calcium, B vitamins and iron. While on a fat- loss program, it is essential to have enough micro- nutrients as part of your diet. Micro- nutrients ensures the body has lesser and lesser cravings for junk food. This way you are more likely to stick to your diet plan than fall on the wagon.
- Methi seeds help boost testosterone levels in the body. This is the hormone linked with increase in muscle mass (indirectly read as fat loss). It is impossible to “burn” off all you eat in an hour’s exercise program to lose weight. Think about it, one donut could be anywhere between 400-600 calories, that is about an hour on the treadmill just to burn off one donut! The right way to lose weight and keep that weight off is only by increasing muscle mass, that increases the body’s metabolism. A good metabolism means you are still burning fat while not in the gym.
- Some studies have also linked methi seeds as an appetite suppressant. This could be due to the high- fibre content of the seeds. I however personally do not find myself feeling less hungry because of methi seeds. However, with all the benefit’s mentioned, there is really no harm in including them as part of your daily diet.
I would suggest having no more than a tbsp right before bedtime.
Of course there are loads of other benefits not only to fenugreek seeds, but leaves as well. But so are there with a lot of indian herbs like turmeric, cinnamon etc. I would suggest adding them to your diet but not depending on them as an only source to expect miraculous weight- loss.
Do reach out to me here for customised meal and fitness plans.