Posted on August 23 2020
Vegan Sweet Potato Kale Salad Recipe
We are living in times where our favourites get delivered at home in a decent amount of time and that fits our craving. Naturally settling down to making a kale salad with the only upside to saving money is sad.
So, let’s run through a pros and cons list before you put in the hard work.
- Saves you money
- Makes kitchen smell like a restaurant
- Kale is the most nutrient-dense food on the planet
- Fulfils daily value of vitamin A, C, and K
- Calcium, potassium, and magnesium are generally lacking in the modern diet, but not in Kale
- Quinoa and sweet potato are non-messy and can be cooked easily.
- Set apart the wholesome-ness the salad is flavourful and filling.
- Instagram story the fresh, home-cooked salad as compared to home-delivered not-so-presentable meals.
- Chopping; salad dressing is fun always
- Wait time for the ingredients to cool.
- Kale and balsamic vinegar will now be a constant on your grocery list.
- Convincing everyone that you love this salad and it might be something they will love too, will be a little tough on you.
2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped into cubes
1 tbsp. olive oil
½ cup (85g) quinoa, uncooked
1 red onion, cut into wedges
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch curly kale, de-stemmed and torn into pieces
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. thyme
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
Place sweet potatoes in baking dish and drizzle with 1/2 tbsp. oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until tender. Then set aside to cool.
In the meantime, cook quinoa according to instructions on the packaging. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1/2 tbsp. of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, for about 10 minutes, until golden brown.
Stir in the kale and continue cooking until wilted. Transfer the kale mixture to a large bowl and set aside to cool.
Once all the ingredients have cooled, add in the sweet potatoes and quinoa to the large bowl. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and season to taste with salt and ground pepper. Stir to combine and serve.