Soy! Oye Hoye!
Table Of Content
9 Myths around Soy Beans!
1) Soybeans lead to cholesterol: On the contrary, consuming soybeans for as little as three weeks drop bad cholesterol (LDL) by an average of 4 points! Soybeans also have ZERO dietary cholesterol.
2) Soybeans are not 'complete proteins'’: Soybeans have all essential amino acids and are among the best vegan/ vegetarian protein sources in the market.
3) Soybeans PROMOTE CANCER.: Consuming soybeans has not only been associated with a lower risk of breast cancer but also improved breast cancer SURVIVAL chances. Countless studies point to the beneficial effects of soybeans on reduced cancer rates.
4) Soybeans are nutritionally deficient. : Soybeans are loaded with micronutrients. Just 100 grams of soybeans provide you with 1/3rd of your daily calcium and close to 90% of your daily iron requirements! Besides this, they are also loaded in B vitamins and magnesium.
5) Soybeans will give you man- boobs. : Excess body fat will give you man- boo bs. Breast tissues are nothing but excess fat cells. Soybeans do not have half the fat content of dairy products such as cheese and Ghee. Excess consumption of meat and dairy will give you man- boo bs.
6) Soybeans are a cause for PCOS/ PCOD. : The fiber in soybeans actually help extract excess free-floating estrogen from the system, relieving symptoms of PCOS. Multiple studies also point to the benefits of soybeans in easing hot flushes and other menopausal symptoms.
7) Soybeans have estrogen (female sex hormone). : This is a popular myth spread by the Dairy industry with no scientific basis. On the contrary, dairy cows are pumped with estrogen and growth hormones to increase milk production. All of which makes its way into the glass of cow's milk you drink every morning (also a cause for man- boo bs).
8) Soybeans disrupts the thyroid gland function. : As long as your iodine intake is optimal, having 1-2 servings of soybeans per day is absolutely fine (in fact beneficial) for those struggling with Thyroid. Soybeans play a crucial role in hormonal balance.
9) Soy by-products are extremely processed and must be avoided. : Soymilk and tofu are minimally processed and easy to make at home. They are an excellent source of calcium and fiber and must be included in your diet. Mock meats made with soy are processed and must be avoided.
Next time a random trainer tells you not to eat tofu, yell at them, “SHOW ME THE SCIENCE. “
Let's Just Talk. No Obligations.
I do free consultations every Tuesday's and Thursday's. Either way you will get some actionable tips to reach your fitness goals faster.