Posted on October 30 2022
Vegan Kofta Curry
- 1 grated semi-boiled potato
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- Salt to taste
- Starch 1 tbsp
- 1 pinch baking soda
Spices: 1 Bay leaf, 1 star anise, 3-4 cardamom, 3-4 clove, 4-5 pepper corns
1 big onion, sliced
1-2 green chillies, finely chopped
1/2 inch grated ginger, finely chopped
4-5 pods of garlic, finely chopped
Spices: 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, ¼ tsp cumin powder, salt
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/4 cup cashews, soaked for 20 min
1 tsp Kasuri methi
Thin cashew cream for garnish
- Grate boiled potato and tofu in a mixing bowl. Add rest of the ingredients. Smash and mix all ingredients using your hand. Shape kofta into round medium size balls.
- Transfer the kofta to a baking tray and bake at 180 degrees for 40 min. Flip the kofta half way through. Keep checking on the kofta to avoid them from burning.
- For the curry, pre-heat a pan, add in all dry spices and roast them for a minute.
- Add sliced onion and 2 tbsp water, saute till the onions turn soft.
- Add all the dry spice powders, ginger, garlic, green chillies and salt. Saute for a minute.
- Add in the tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Add in soaked cashews and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Once done, add all the sautéed ingredients to a blender and blend to a smooth creamy paste.
- Transfer the paste back to the pan and cook for a minute.
- Transfer the paste to a serving bowl, add in the cashew cream for garnish and finally add in the kofta.
- This curry is best served with pulkha(s).